Saturday, December 19, 2015

TT Combat Paint Rack



This arrived yesterday, bought mainly I'll confess because Mrs. Kinch was giving out about not being able to see what paints we had.  I tend to throw all my paints in an old shoe box when I'm not using them.  They lie there in a satisfying higglety pigglety pile of pots. I then assemble the few lads that I need after picking though the box and then work from that small selection.  This preserves an element of mystery regarding what exactly paints are in stock and adds a touch of romance to what could otherwise be considered a rather pedestrian occupation. 


This is not the way to do business so far as hard headed Mrs. Kinch is concerned and something needed to be done.  As you can tell, I was cut to the quick at the prospect of abandoning the old messy ways and more to the point, appalled at the prospect of such wanton expenditure (which could be more profitably spend on toy soldiers or gin). 

However, bowing to the inevitable, I found this on eBay and a few days later, here it is. Costing about twenty quid* including shipping, this is a laser cut MDF kit that when assembled holds 40 pots of Vallejo, which should be enough to keep anyone happy. 



The pieces punch out relatively easily and have a pleasing burnt wood scent about them. A dry fitting would seem to indicate that the cuts are precise and the whole edifice should hold together relatively well given some glue. 

We shall see what exactly Progress looks like once it's put together. 


*That's Euro to those readers in the Free World.

14 comments:

  1. Toy soldiers and gin? I'll be right over!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good price, and a route I went myself some time ago, in my case though acrylic display stands for nail varnish bottles... http://steve-the-wargamer.blogspot.sk/2013/03/before-and-after.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look on the bright side there, Mr. Kinch! Even though your old "single male chaos" is stubbornly yielding to the new habit of "wedded bliss organization", you got all those very useful looking wooden punch-out discs for free with your purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I keep looking at them and wondering what I should do with them.

      Delete
  4. I'm still in the box or indeed plastic bag and it's always a surprise as to what paints I get, terribly inefficient and I end up with multiple pots of paints because I can't see what I have
    You no longer have that worry as you enter the broad uplands of increased efficiency and streamlining.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fascinating modern world in which we live.

      Delete
  5. The world is being slowly taken over by MDF, but the smell is wonderful! Best of luck with this, I was made to get one of these too, apparently the dining room table was for eating off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell is rather good - as for that story of dining room table, that is merely a story made to frighten children.

      Delete
  6. This looks to be a most useful addition to the painting desk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wives are capital for organizing we happy but benighted men. Years ago Mdme Padre gave me a spinner rack for the long bottles of acrylic craft paint I like to use for bg jobs (horses, bases, buildings, my fingers, etc). Very helpful, if I remember to put the paints back in the rack. My smaller paint pots (Citadel, etc), like yours, live in a shoebox and much of my hobby time is actually spent rummaging through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can but stand and yell at the incoming tide Padre.

      Delete