Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Airfix French Foreign Legion

What was his name again? I forget. 

Another offering from our mysterious friend in Budapest.  This time a hardened veteran of the North African deserts. 

Heavily laden fellow

Like every man of a certain age, I immediately associate the above with PC Wren's heroes in Beau Geste and Beau Sabreau. I read Beau Sabreau first, in a slightly ragged edition that had a green dragon on the spine, I think they were meant for young readers - I'm not sure I ever saw another.  I would struggle to tell you what the plot was, to be honest Conan Doyle, Rider Haggard and Stevenson made a much greater impression on me, but I can recall certain scenes. There is a siege and a bazaar mob running amok that is led astray by a disguised Frenchman. 

March or die!

I may go back to PC Wren - I have Beau Sabreur and The Wages of Virtue (which I've never read) on my shelf, purchased on a whim. This chap is guarding them at present. He's a grim looking character. The dusty effect on his boots and coat and the furniture on his 8mm Lebel are well done to my mind at least. The Legions uniform does not offer the same opportunities as lets say the Napoleonic era, but our mystery man has captured the folds and drapes of the fabric simply and effectively. Long may he guard the upper borders of my book shelves. 


(click to embiggen)

On a slightly less grim note - I came across this happy little family while walking along the canal the other day.  I've been watching them carefully for quite some time, lest some drunken jerk do something stupid, but over the days and weeks the great Irish public have pleasently surprised me and nothing untoward happened to the little family of Swans. You may have to enlarge the picture to see the cygnets.

And if that doesn't gladden the heart, I don't know what will. 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Mr Kinch

    What do you call a legionnaire looking out for the enemy?

    Beau Peep.

    Have a nice one.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another exceptional example of military art from your mystery painter.

    Very fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah - memories from child hood... green dragon books were 2/6d, red dragon books were 3/6d.... Malcolm Saville, PC Wren, Enid Blyton, must have read hundreds......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the bounty of second hand bookshops that my dad picked up on the way home from work.

      Great stuff. Never really took to bylton though.

      Delete
  4. No mention of Beau Ideal? The last, longest and least memorable of the Trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of " The Young Carthaginian" with a green dragon on the spine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had that as well...! ..and I read a lot of Showell Styles in that series - Midshipman Septimus Quinn...

      Delete
    2. It amazes me that there are people who read BEAU GESTE but who have never read Beau SABREUR & B IDEAL, If you haven't read NO 3 you have never known the solution to the mystery of the Blue Water's disappearence.

      Delete